Saturday, July 19, 2008

Thoughts on Being Injured *Very uminaginative title, I know....*

Well well... until today I'd never suffered any injury while doing architecture work, whether it's making models, curing concrete, hammering nails or using the saw...In the two years I did archi, I've always thought that, after flying off the bicycle at Pulau Ubin and getting 16 stitches just before I got into year 1, I've used up all my bad luck and hence am entitled to some kind of injury "dry spell"....

My dry spell ended this afternoon... Was sitting cross-legged on the floor, cutting up my old models so I can reuse the materials...Then...my hand kinda slipped and so my penknife just went *Poke!* into the base of my toe....The wound wasn't long at all but it was pretty deep so it kept bleeding, but adding insult to injury: it's holiday, I didn't stay up late so should've been quite alert and I wasn't even doing any serious cutting...Haih...

Anyway, because the bleeding didn't stop after quite some time, I went to Thomson clinic, the only one around my house that's open on Saturday. F.Y.I , that very same clinic was where I got stitched up after my Ubin stint.. So...A bit of trepidation...I was hoping that my wound is small enough not to be stitched, but just taped...

*A bit of digressing, I think the bicycle accident actually did me some good, cause now everytime I'm wounded, scratched, bruised etc I can casually say, "Oh, small thing, nothing compared to last time.." Needless to say my heck-care attitude actually becomes more heck-care...*

So....Reached the place, and got assigned to the very same room where my wound was cleaned 2 years ago...Shoot...Sure brings back memories...The thought that crossed my mind was: "Good thing am injured on my foot, cuz even if I need stitching, I don't need a plastic surgeon to stitch it up!" Chatted with the nurse about the last time I was there, and she said, "Hmmm...You seem to have an affinity to these things.. Just don't make it a habit ok...." *Yes ma'am!*

Took photos of the room just for posterity, since I couldn't do it the last time I was there...

In the end my wound was just taped, lucky I had a tetanus jab before I went to Vietnam *an archi student's penknife is far from sterile, for sure..* ..and actually I kinda regret going to the clinic since I could've taped it myself...Better than getting stitches, yes, but it makes me feel rather criminal that AIDS patients in Africa can be medicated on US$1 a day and I had to spend S$30 on a small poke wound...I'm sure somewhere else in the world one would just spit on it and get on with life..

P.S. Please don't breathe a word to my parents about this else my backpacking plans will die a horrible death..Thanks for your co-operation. Much appreciated.






No comments: