Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thoughts on Being Away... (Going to be, anyway..)

Hm.... now my impending trip to Paris seems more and more "real", as in, it will eventually happen and not just some dream I'm having... Visa's out, tickets bought, got a place to put my luggage when I'm travelling, no sudden letter from Ecole Speciale saying "Mademoiselle Shiela, we regret to infrom you that you're not chic enough to study in Paris.."
Only thing though, haven't found an accomodation for 5 mths...and clearly sleeping on a mat under the Eiffel, though tempting, is not a viable option.....

More and more, I come to think of the time away as a potential "starting over" moment.. to be away from the influences of people who care about me, and whom I care for.. my parents, good friends, my church.. Time to figure out myself without having to think about others's expectations and my "reputation" *as it is, I'm not sure what exactly is my reputation, but whether for better or worse, I'm sure I have one..*.. To be honest, I'm kinda looking forward to it...To see what kind of person I will be away from all the social contracts and constraints I'm familiar with, see if my principles stand when I'm away from people I'm accountable to.. Hmm.... One thing is sure though, I would still have to answer to Architecture...

On leaving Singapore...When I was packing, I was kinda sad since I realise I cannot bring books except the very essential ones.. I'll miss my little darlings hiks.. Maybe it comes from having a lot of books since I was young, but for me a room can only feel cosy and familiar when I see books lying around.. Oh well, am looking forward to exploring Paris libraries...

J'espere que j'aimerai Paris, et Paris...aimera moi...

No comments: