Friday, November 16, 2007

Make a joyful noise unto the LORD!

You see me worship o LORD
Though my dancing may be clumsy
You hear the songs that I sing
Though others may sing
Much better than me

For it is with a heart of worship
It is with a heart of praise
I come in front of You
Lift my hands and say:

Make a joyful noise unto the LORD!
For that is all He needs
He doesn't care if we were sinners
The time is now, the place is here

To make a joyful noise unto the LORD!
For that is all He needs
This is the least we can do
Just to say
Thank you..
__
Just came back from Indon fellowship, and was talking to one of the mentors about music. How does qualify one song as fit for worship and another as unfit? The melody? The lyrics? The intention fo the songwriter? The emotions it arouses?

The discourse on worship music is amazingly influenced by doctrine. The church that strongly influences the fellowship happens to be Calvinist, and far as I know they come from a tradition that does not so much emphasis the individuality of each person, but the person as part of the congregation. Hence, the type of music preferred also does not focus so much on the individual and his/her personal relationship to God. I think this is also why they frown upon contemporary Christian songs who supposedly emphasise mroe on the individual instead of on God.

I come from an apostolic pentecostal church that emphasises the teaching of God as a personal saviour,hence I'm used to songs depicting the closeness and the very personal nature of a person's relationship to God. I don't agree that these songs will compromise the purpose of worship, which is gloryfing God, but the discussion just now did give me something to think about.

When we worship, are our emotions gloryfying God as well? I think the people I talked about are wary of feeling good during worship due to emotions like "Oh God loves me so much", "Oh everything will be okay",and people focusing on the nice beat and melody instead of "Oh God You are awesome!" Yes I agree with that. If people cry because the song has a sad melody, and not because they really are moved by God, something's wrong. But well, can these only be achieved by singing hymns alone?

Still thinking. Being open-minded does bring problems of its own.

Teach me n my trusty guitar, LORD, to put a smile on Your face..even if all I know is how to make a joyful noise!

No comments: