Friday, November 16, 2007

Bukit Timah Trek

The outdoors at last!! So happy that I finally have time to explore nature reserves again. Went to Bukit Timah Nature Reserve today..it's good to get away from car noise and air-con and breathe damp,earthy air while listening to insects..surrounded by trees..ahhh...

Arrived there at around 10 AM, then started the trek up....
up and up we go...and the stairs are not the standard 15 cm riser ones, but 25 cm...against human comfort constructional guidelines!
Eventually reached the summit though..nearly out of breath which showed just how cooped up in studio I was during semester time.

After that we went to explore the paths to the quarry, which mainly consists of all kinds of stairs...and so up we go....

And up...and up... (seriously, if you have no stamina to go up hundreds of fligths of stairs, don't go to this nature reserve...halfway of the trek I was already cursing the steps...)

Oh well,but we did get rewarded with a beautiful view of the quarry:





And when I was taking pictures of the quarry...Leonard saw a snake! Ok granted, it was a tiny, (I think) non-poisonous snake that's just long, cute and bright green..but still, was so excited to actually see something other than monkeys, butterflies and squirrels! (yup, that's how harmless nature reserves in Singapore are..)

Here's what I managed to take of the snake..I did not manage to take the head!!! Aaaa!! but then, I had to watch out for the snake as well as watch my balance since we were standing on cliff edge...(strayed from the normal path..which is well...just so like us...)
I hope I'll get to see it again next time I visit.



Also saw a weird tree with many flowers coming out of its base, part of an old wall (could be the boundary of the nature reserve) and n eerie structure that could have been a toilet, but it's really not for the faint-hearted...






Well, what goes up must come down, so....

Eventually we came to a tarmac path which we didn't know would led where, but one thing signals that this is an ulu part of Singapore:


You just don't find above ground electrical posts in the city anymore. Eventually we reached a little cottage...wondering what that was..and turns out that cottage was an architecture office of one of my tutors at school! Life is weirdly funny... maybe I'll apply to work there next time because the atmosphere is really nice.





Went further down and saw a weird building with a thick wall built in front of it:




So the thick wall was built in case the explosives start acting funny...hm...the government does keep lotsa weird things inside nature reserves..bunkers,manholes, even explosives...secret research facilities next?

Anyway, we went to eat in Mad Jack, a western food eatery in Bukit Timah road,and surprisingly they have a vegetarian section! So Leonard chomped on his fish n chips while I munched on my "fake fish" and mashed potato ;p



After that, went for ice cream at Island Creamery, but forgot to take photo cause I straight away attacked the ice cream! Roarr!! Hahahaha... Oh man, after weekends and weekends of staying over in studio, chasing deadlines and rushing models, at last I have a pure Saturday of uncontaminated bliss...

No comments: