Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A Reflection...

Was rummaging through my files to delete the old ones, and I found this, my reflection essay for my first semester at NUS. (Archi ppl are supposed to write one after the semester.) Thought I'd put it here to remind me again where I came from and where I am now..

Being the over-confident person I sometimes am, I came into NUS Architecture with great plans and thoughts – of being active in NUS, getting first class honors, even of gloriously graduating and becoming a famous architect. Well, I came out of the semester much humbled. I do not think I am one of those blessed with great talent, but I thought what I lack in talent I would make up in hard work and passion. Needless to say, I have since discovered that there are many who worked much harder, and showed much more passion than I thought possible. Yet, to see such fellow students does not summon in me fear of defeat. Instead, I am inspired, excited to learn from them and not just the tutors. (Though I did learn a lot from my year 1 semester 1 tutor and am very grateful for that!)

To be in an environment where people give their all because they want to achieve their dreams – I am privileged to be in such an environment.

I have immensely enjoyed the semester- no matter the late nights, the workload, or pressure caused by others’ expectations. Studio, field trip, lectures, or just discussing architectural matters with fellow students have all amounted to a great experience. Now though, at the end of the semester, mixed feelings remain. There is relief at having survived the first step, also an excited anticipation of the next semester. There are doubts – will what I have in me be able to carry me through five years? Must I , like Mies van der Rohe, make Architecture my religion? Then there is also regret, that maybe I have been too soft with myself and as a result did not give my best for the past few months.

Unfortunately, regret always comes too late. For now, I resolve to improve myself as much as I could, learn what is there to be learned, because I have realized I do not want to be anywhere else, studying anything else, except Architecture.


No comments: