Thursday, January 24, 2008

Events...

There are good people in the world. Cliche but true. Somehow...it just feels different when you are in the receiving end of a stranger's kindess..The world seems a little brighter, and you start to feel humanity has plenty of hopes, after all...

Last thursday I really had no money in my wallet...sheer carelesness really, too busy i forgot to draw money, and even forgot i had no more money. To top it off, i also neglected to top up my ez-link and as a result it was down to around -0.40 cents...for lunch i borrowed money from Ren,$10, and i had some coins. but then, studio ended late and i had to rush to newton to catch my french class, so, not wanting to wait infinitely long for bus 88 i hauled a cab to take me to Harbour Front. brilliant plan: use money to pay cab, then leftover to buy one trip ez link to newton, and to go back from newton to toa payoh.

Well i forgot about the cab fare hike.. as a result i had to eye the meter the whole time i was in the cab.. thinking to stop the cab the moment the meter reaches $10 and then maybe just walk to the bus interchange...managed to reach the interchange, though.fare? $9.70. so the i had 30 cent left... oh well... went down to the mrt station to top up my ez-link, checked my wallet and realised I LEFT MY ATM CARDS AT HOME. Two of them, both left at home. Dang. Went to the ez link counter and asked the lady "Can I top up my ez-link card with cash card?" Knowing all along that most probably the answer is no. Well, the lady said no, and I explained to her my situation and asked... "Can I sell my cashcard to you for $2 to buy the ticket? I desperately need to get there..there's still about $3 in the card.." She seemed a bit confused, and finally said "Maybe you can go to the station manager...."

OK so I went to the station manager and explained my predicament.. the station manager, a middle-aged man with quite an arrogant air (I am not biased..hm.. somehow I just konw that there's no possibility in him helping me..as I was telling him my situation I could feel that he thinks I'm either deranged or out to cheat money...) Oh well, he told me smugly "We cannot help you." and that was that.

So... I had to try my "May i sell you my cashcard..." line at a young chinese lady. Again, I'm not biased, but just from seeing her I felt that she might help me. It's something about people's attitude and expression that makes other people want to approach them for help.. Wellll..... she GAVE me the $2 saying it's ok cuz it's just 2 dollars.. trying to preserve some dignity (which I didn't care much for anyway, if not I wont be reduced to selling my cashcard.. but I really don't want to just take the lady's money...) I insisted she take my cashcard, but she really declined...May the LORD bless her many times over! I am thinking of how to see her again but it is most unlikely I guess..

All well and good, I thought.. and then, who came to see me but the MRT station lady! She left her post at the ticket station to give me $5! And what really touched me was that she did i without lotsa fuss, trying to be as quiet as possible slipping the money into my hands.. Man, may the LORD bless her many times over!

This evening I went home by Harbour Front station and wanted to repay her, but she wasn't in the ticket office. Guess she wasn't in her shift. I fully intend to repay her and do something nice for her for chinese new year or valentine's. Readers, if you come across a lady named Saerah in Harbour Front MRT ticketing office, be fully aware that she was my angel in need!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice experience... humans sometimes are like angles, sometimes are like animals...

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahaha that's a very good observation =)