Thursday, May 3, 2012

Baby Don't Jump the Gun!

Getting very excited at the prospect of going to my new firm, learning new things, working with new people - and new materials! - that I was thinking unwittingly to myself: "Hmm.. but I can only pour myself out into my work while I'm single, right.. Since design work needs a lot of time, dedication, a lot of overtime.. And when I am married I gotta take care of my husband, and probably in three, four years I'm gonna have kids and then, I wonder if I can just leave the kids in day care.. But I do want to take care of my family... But I also want to pursue my goal of being an excellent landscape architect..."

At which point I have to catch myself and say, "Dammit Shiela, those kids don't even exist yet! Stop dragging them into your own planning!"

Sigh. It's true, passion is lived day-by-day and I have not even proven that yet, let alone think of how my *as-of-yet-non-existent* kids will influence my *as-of-yet-non-existent* career! ><


"When work, commitment, and pleasure all become one and you reach that deep well where passion lives, nothing is impossible."

No comments: