Wednesday, March 9, 2011

K.I.S.S

..Keep It Simple, Stupid..

Was going to open the can of chestnut spread I got from France -a specialty of the Ardeche region that consists of pureed chestnut, sugar and vanilla (which, by the way, is divine! And lasts quite long!)

..and I went to google recipes for that.. Browsing through so many guaranteed-delicous-you-gotta-try-this-one recipes, a thought just popped into my head:

"If I'm perfectly content eating this chestnut spread out of the can, why the heck do I need to use it in complicated recipes and face the very real possibility of ruining its taste?"

And then, I realised the answer.. Simple food satisfy me, but complicated cooking.. is so damn fun! >< There is probably something unnerving about seeing cooking as a chemical experiment (making tear gas, and nuclear bombs, now THOSE are chemical experiments), but heck, now that I find it a source of fun and another outlet of creativity - albeit with grave consequences if the resulting dishes are hoisted upon other people - I'll probably be quite into it for some time.

On a side note, dang it's rather irritating to want to try out recipes and think that one will have more things to eat then, and eating a lot will, quite simply, make one fat. Never trust a thin cook, they say.. but I am SO unwilling to get back to my 'fat phase' (yeah..I was 12 years old.. and really fat.. 2 years later I became a vegetarian and entered the Singaporean education system with its Spartan physical education, so that was lucky..).

My brain is confused between my desire to exercise more and live healthy and the desire to cook, eat and indulge!

1 comment:

Audrey Wijaya said...

Hahaha Shiel, I'm not a legitimate cook...but yes, I love your attitude -- cooking is fun! Most of the time I don't even know what I'm cooking/baking, and they might not even end up right, oh but it's just so fun, so I keep doing it... lol! :D