Wednesday, August 19, 2009

On School

Fiuh! At last I got to write about school! Somehow I didn't get down to it till now..

And school has been....fun....in fact it's even more fun than I expected... Went to a field trip along the Southern Ridges, a nature park area in Singapore made up of mostly canopy trail, n it's a cool feeling walking among treetops for a long, long, long way... and I realise Sg is actually a lot greener than I thought seen from above.. Hm..I can't really put it into words, but to be able to play outdoors and then notice that it's part of school...that's a good feeling hehehe... 

And the lectures...have been a lot more interesting than I expected too... it has just been 3 days but the range of topics covered..well.. learning about environmental pollution, snail's reproductive system, learning about examples of beautifully done landscapes... there's so many books I wanna read now related to my studies huhuhu... 

And the lecturers... well it's generally good omen when most of your lecturers say, "I don't believe in exams, and anyway, I believe that none of you will fail.." hahaha... but yea, it's lucky we have tutors that are very passionate about their fields, very very understanding (as I have proven by running off earlier several times to do this and that stuff, while they still smile and say, "it's ok.."),
and the great thing is because the landscape program is so new, with only 7 students in it, we get a lot of flexibility, like changing lecture time, places, suggesting to tutors the materials we want to learn about... it's pretty cool to be able to kinda "shape" your own curriculum...

And above all... I think there's something special about plants and working with plants.. just because it's a living thing... that well, a building is totally the work of the architect, but a garden...is a collaboration between a person and Nature herself... more things are beyond our control...things grow, bloom, decay, die...

I think, even more than architecture, I get the sense that I can make a difference with landscape, that truly if I master what I'm supposed to master, if I learn how to use the plant palette, learn how landscapes affect the environment, learn how rainforests work, how the tropical climate affect and is affected by plants...I get the sense that I can create something that is beautiful, alive and useful as well...and that's the most exciting part of all!

No comments: