Sunday, April 19, 2009

C'est encore Paris...


"Across the street someone is playing La Vie en Rose. . . they do it for the tourists, but I'm always surprised at how it moves me. . . It means seeing Life through rose-colored glasses. . .But only in Paris where the light is pink does it all make sense. . . . But I'll have it in my pocket when I get home, and I'll take it with me wherever I go from now on."

Sabrina :" My brain is saying 'stay away' "
Iren :"Then that's what you should do."
Sabrina :"But my heart is yelling 'go for it' "
Iren :"Pick one organ and pay attention to it."

Sabrina :"You know Linus, you should go to Paris. It's the perfect cure for emptiness."
Linus :"
I've been to Paris. In fact, I stopped there just a few months ago. For thirty-five minutes."
Sabrina :"Thirty five minutes?"
Linus :"I had to refuel the plane. I was flying to St. Petersburg."
Sabrina :"But Paris isn't for refueling your plane. It's for reinventing your life."
Linus :"Paris is for lovers. Maybe that's why I only stayed there thirty-five minutes."

- Quotes from the movie "Sabrina" , starring Harrison Ford and Julia Ormond
____
Ufh...so I really have a colonial slave mentality for missing a Western European city while being back home in Asia...but Paris...the air thick with beauty and history...the large roads hemmed by old apartments buzzing with speed and modernity, while the little alleys filled with a sometimes mysterious, sometimes chic atmosphere...

Paris....where I strolled along the Seine, wrote pages and pages amongst the books in the Shakespeare, ate delicious falafel while watching street performances, listened to the melodic lull of French that made even curse words sound exotic, sat on the steps of Montmartre while waiting for the sun to set....when Paris transforms from the City of Love to the City of Lights....

I, a believer of cultural differences but not cultural superiority, feels that I might have been infected by a serious case of "white man supremacy". . . to admit that I sorely miss the city and the culture and lifestyle that breathes through it....But if it concerns Paris..oh, the romantic in me has no hope against her...

"When Paris sneezes, Europe catches cold."
-Metternich


No comments: