Saturday, August 30, 2008

Addicted to Grass....

Right....before people wonder how come I'm addicted to grass even before I get to Amsterdam, let me explain.. I'm addicted to, specifically, lying around in grass... and being in Europe has made this addiction even more chronic...

In Singapore, where we have amazing lawns to lie down on, people frown when being asked to lie down / do activites in grass...I guess, it's somewhat justified since Singaporean grass is,how shall I say it, prickly, not to mention they can be infested by tropical insects..

Well...that still can't beat my fascination with lying on grass.... Somehow, closing my eyes when feeling the soil beneath me, and playing with grass tufts with my hand...is just so, very, enjoyable.... Do it early in the morning or late at night, when the soil is comparatively colder, and it can be very relaxing...two feelings I usually have after lying around in grass in "recharged" and "de-stressed" *that's why during my A-level period I laid down on grass almost everyday in a garden near my place...*

I've tried Botanic Gardens grass, my apartment's garden, ,Toa Payoh park, even NUS grass near Techno Edge *INFESTED BIG TIME by insects and ants..not recommended!*, but yea, there aren't many places in Singapore where you can lie down on grass and people won't stare... (another advantage of doing it at night when it is dark..).... In my humble opinion, the best grass to lie down on is the patch across The Fullerton besides Singapore river, just outside the Asian Civilisations Museum. The grass type is smaller compared to that usually found around Singapore, and as such it is also softer. Plus, you've got the river scenery to enjoy..aahhh....

But back to European grass. Last semester, I had a friend, an exchange student from Europe, who also like to lie down on grass, and his first reaction on trying Singapore grass is: "Oh, it's so prickly!" Having laid down on European grass in almost every city I've visited *except Copenhagen and Malmo*, I now understand fully what he meant. And I qoute, "Compared to Singaporean grass, European grass is soft as silk!"

And it still amazes me how the culture here is really to "go out and play"... Was taking a short nap in a park in Lyon, and eventually I was gently woken up by the buzz of activity around me...all happening on grass! Boys playing soccer, people chatting, sleeping, eating, playing badminton, couples dating *cheap and romantic! ;p*...just so many things happening!

The true spirit of summer is in the parks of Europe...and boy do I love the summer grass!

No comments: