Thursday, July 12, 2007

2nd Update on Project RLH

'It was Alcoholics Anonymous that gave the founding fathers the idea... Our methods are frankly borrowed from theirs. When one of us feel the urge to take a woman out to dinner becoming too strong for him, he seeks the other members of the circle and tells them of his craving, and they reason with him.. Calm succeeds turmoil, and the madness passes...'
(PG Wodehouse, "Bachelors' Anonymous")
(I recommend the book cuz i'ts hillariously unmushy n the humour is witty, wholesome, clean old english stuff. PG Wodehouse rocks!)

Well, these are the books read so far (for some of them I didn't include the author cuz I did not take it down before I returned them to the library.) Overall it's a varied and satisfying diet, but I'm behind by a few days..and school's starting soon which means I can hardly spend time reading!!! Aaaaaaaa.......!!!

Oh well...here goes....

1.The World is Flat -Thomas L. Friedman
2. Romantic Voices -Kahlil Gibran
3. Lelaki Terindah -Andrei Aksana
4. Singapore Architecture -Robert Powell
5. The Chinese Diaspora -Johannes Widodo
6.Totto-Chan - Tetsuko Kuroyanagi
7. From the Meadows of Gold -Mas'Udi
8.Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill
9. Doa Sang Katak - Anthony de Mello
10. Bachelors' Anonymous -P.G Wodehouse
11. The Devil Wears Prada
12.White Papers of Sustainable Architecture
13.Burn Marks -Sara Paretsky
14. The Long Road Towards Recognition: Indonesian Architecture
15. Crimes Against Nature - Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
16. Asian Architecture
17. The Meaning of Flowers -Scoble & Field
18. Black Market : Inside the Endangered Species Trade
19. Design in Japan
20. Every Young Woman's Battle - Shannon Ethridge
21. The Shadow of The Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

"Welcome to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books..... This is a place of mystery, Daniel, a sanctuary. Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens... In this place, books no longer remembered by anyone, books that are lost in time, live forever, waiting for the day when they will reach a new reader's hands. In the shop we buy and sell them, but in truth books have no owner. Every book you see here has been somebody's best friend..."
(Sempere, from "The Shadow of The Wind")

"Once, in my father's bookshop I heard a regular customer say that few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into his heart. Those first images, the echo of words we think we have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a palace in our memory to which, sooner or later - no matter how may books we read, how many worlds we discover, or how much we learn to forget - we will return. "
(Daniel, from "The Shadow of The Wind")

The first book that finds its way into my heart? A children's book , amongst the first English books I read when I was 13, titled "The Bridge to Terabithia". The story, the words... just absorbed me completely and I forgot the real world round me..I think that was one of the defining moments that got me addicted on reading...hahaha... ufh...I wish the Cemetery of Forgotten books is for real....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Read more of wodehouse!!