Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Update on Project Read-Like-Hell (RLH)

"Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted, nor to find fault and discourse; but to weigh and consider." (Francis Bacon)

Arrgh, I'm behind schedule!!!! :'( Thanks to church camp, vacation, typhoid fever, friends' invitations to movies etc, n my own inability to resist the temptation that is the Net...

Newae, here are the books I've read so far:
1.Customs of Ancient Kingdoms of India - Marco Polo
2.One for the Money - Janet Evanovich
3. Surat- surat kepada Philip - Charlie W. Shedd
4. Snowfall - K.M Peyton
5. 5 Cm - Donny Dirghantoro
6. Sang Pemimpi -Andrea Hirata
7. The Great Divorce -C.S Lewis
8. The Four Loves - C.S Lewis
9. Can A Guy Get Pregnant? Scientific Answers to Everyday (and Not So Everyday) Questions - Rich n Bill Sones
10. D'Bijis - Adhitya Mulya
11. Choosing God's Best - Don Raunikar
12. Discipline -Ellisabeth Elliot
13. Passion and Purity - Ellisabeth Elliot
14. The Effective Student: A Guide to Learning for The NUS Student (ok, i ws curious and felt I had lots of time..)

Am halfway through these books:
1.The Question of God: C.S Lewis and Sigmund Freud debate God, Love, Sex and the Meaning of Life - Armand M. Nicholi Jr.
2.The World is Flat - Thomas L. Friedman
3.Jesus in Beijing - Aikman

(Bad habit of mine: I always read several books at one go, since actually my concentration span is too short to stick to one book. Then, in the middle of reading these books I'll get distracted by even more books...so I never know when actually I'll finish the books..)

On top of those, I read 4 New Scientist magazines (I usually read science magazines as a "break" in between reading books. Fun! cuz the articles are short n usually interesting.) and 60 over comic books...No I'm not kidding...it was mainly in my cousin's house in Jakarta - he had tons of comics - and at the beginning of my typhoid fever days..I was so frustrated at having to stay at home that I didn't feel like reading anything intellectually heavier than comics...(oh n I admit that I also read 8 teen-lit novels...so mushy!!!! gah..again, it's because I wasn't in the mood for proper books...)

Of course, comics and novels aren't counted as books, so yeah, I'm below target. In a reading diet, those are counted as "junk food" , since they contribute nothing to the expansion of the mind, and I'm not even entertained reading them... (Why did I read them again...?)

Well, read something that rings true for me: "The man who doesn't read has no advantage over the man who can't read." (Forgot who said it though..)

1 comment:

sp said...

oh my thats a lot of books! haha good luck in ur RLH project! (looks like Right Left Hand project XD)