Friday, January 22, 2010

The Pain That Never Came

Two days ago I went to consult a doctor on whether to pull my wisdom tooth, since I've been having some pain and I didn't want it to give me problems in Manila *going to Manila yay!*

Anyway, I had always been wary of visiting a dentist since I had a wisdom tooth pulled 3 years ago, and the dentist who did it was so rough that not only I had several ulcers thanks to his hasty maneuvering, the whole procedure felt like forever, I saw lots of blood going through the suction tube, and it became so traumatic..

Plus, 2 months ago I went to have a dental check-up and it was a young, also kinda rough doctor who did it, not to mention he seemed all haughty towards his Philippino assistant *never trust doctors with an attitude problem* He told me I gotta have my teeth pulled but, well, I don't wanna open my mouth in front of him ever again.

So. A hostelmate suggested a clinic in Toa Payoh; I went there and specifically asked the receptionist to give me an appointment with a gentle doctor. She said "No worries". Cool. Went in, it was another young *or at least young-looking* doctor.. but I could tell right away that he's a gentle destist! Hahaha..

It's funny really.. connecting with doctors is like connecting with people.. Some people you just instantly like and trust.. Anyway, when he was checking my teeth he was constantly telling me what's he doing, what was happening.. which is really cool since I hate doctors who just sit there and let patients wonder "ok what's going on..? What's gonna happen next...?"

Then comes decision time.. Do I or do I not let this doctor pull my teeth...? Ow heck, he told me "It's important for me that patients don't feel pain.. You just sit there, relax, and let me do the hard work.." Doc I love you!! True enough.. the tooth extraction lasted less than 10 minutes, it was really simple and he was soothing me throughout.. ("ok 90% out, don't worry...")

BUT, you say, of course I would feel no pain, I had been anaesthetized.. Precisely my thinking. Which was why I went back and was nervous the whole evening.. Waiting for my mouth to start feeling painful.. The doc said the anaesthetics would wear off around 8 PM.. Was ready in front of my computer, reading comics to distract me from any sudden feeling of pain.. Then, it was 9PM... 10PM... 11PM... Still no pain... Hmm... Decided to sleep cuz well.. I can't possibly wait for the pain to hit the whole night..

The next morning.. still no pain! Hmm... and, my friend told me, it's cool because no swelling either.. And here I am, 2 days later, still no pain and with my mouth healed such that I even forgot I have an extraction wound inside...

Oh wow, I've written that to lead a good life you gotta get 3 things right: what you believe, whom you marry, and what you do for living. Let's add a 4th, very very important point: Find a dentist you can trust!

No comments: