Monday, September 28, 2009

On (What Else) Studying Architecture...

"Architects are late bloomers. Most architects do not hit their professional stride until around age 50! There is perhaps no other profession that requires one to integrate such a broad range of knowledge into something so specific and concrete. An architect must be knowledgeable in history, art, sociology, physics, psychology, materiality, symbology,political process, and innumerable other fields, and must create a building that meets regulatory codes, keeps out the weather, withstands earthquakes, has functioning elevators and mechanical systems, and meets the complex functional and emotional needs of its users. Learning to integrate so many concerns into a cohesive product takes a long time, with lots of trial and error along the way. If you're going to be in the field of architecture, be in it for the long haul. It's worth it."
- Matthew Frederick, 101 Things I Learnt in Architecture School

Hit by sudden realization that I'm on my 4th year and I'm only gonna be in school for another 2 years or even less.. Suddenly sad.. Nooooooo...... Hiks... Whichever way I look at it, the climate in architecture school makes me express myself everyday, think about new inventions, learn so many interesting things.. I'm gonna miss it badly.. (sudden determination to maximize my remaining time in school.. Uoooh!!) Remembering all my fantasy projects and larger-than-life concepts.. I don't think at any point in my future life I'll be encouraged to think of bizarre, bizarre ideas and then just playing, trying to make them work... Haih... Plus, am in landscape now.. and though I feel that I can make a real difference more by becoming a landscape architect, I kinda miss struggling with all the complexities of designing a building...

And.... kinda feel like I haven't learn much during these 3 years in archi.. Well ok I learnt much, but not enough.. Not in a "real-life architecture" way.. The quote above calms me down a bit, actually, because well, if most architects don't hit their professional stride until 50, then I have hope.. (Though am wondering whether, after surrendering my youth to archi, now I have to surrender my middle-age period as well.. Hmm...) Oh wow... Now wondering when I'll have my first design built, and what will it be.. Hahaha.. 

Whatever it is... I love archi! =)

No comments: