Wednesday, January 21, 2009

On architecture...

Haven't blogged on dear archi for a while...so, first things first: $@#$$#@@#$%#!!!!!!!!

Nope, am not cursing archi...but my photoshop had just hang-ed for the 5th time today..haih..shall follow Edo's advice and install CS2....

Had an all-important briefing today on streaming..which track we would want to follow at the end of this semester...Design? Urban? Technology? Landscape? The thing is...it all sounds so tempting!!!!! Arrgh...the usual case of wanting so much from Life...is there any way of becoming a competent architect with cool concepts who is an ace in construction, knows microenvironments-ecosystem and is skilled in urban planning and large scale projects as well? Without losing youth, health and sanity?
Don't think so... Ufh....tough choice....but I'd probably go to Technology track since they are shifting their focus to sustainability. I will confess, embarrassingly, that the major deterrent barring me from taking Landscape architecture is the lack of holidays..2 years full of classes is a terribly depressing prospect...

Oh well. Just noticed today that the NUS Department of Architecture goes by the acronym NUS DoA...It's written like that all over the presentation slides today...and I can't help thinking "DoA... Dead or Alive...." Not an optimistic thought, for sure...

Ah but for now...am so proud to be year 3 at last!! Wooohooo! Survived archi so far! Kinda can't believe it...It seems just yesterday I was learning to draw straight lines....And now...year 3...facing the legendary RIBA semester, no less...where external examiners wait in the shadows to ambush you, terrorise you, devour you, tear you into... oh,nope, sorry I got carried away... Well apparently all they do *according to my tutor* is try to give you low grades so that they look good. Dang. Don't they know the amount of blood, sweat,and tears *and sleepless nights. Let's not forget sleepless nights.* that goes into each project? Have mercy, we need it...

Year 3.....RIBA....Wow...Hehehehehe...somehow am really excited...Maybe because I've left studio for half a year so I'm actually eager to get back to the NUS DoA's way of working... Methodical, rigorous, meticulous...For sure no tutor will ask you to sacrifice good spatial arrangements for sexy facades....Though, on the other hand, sometimes they are over concerned with placement and size of toilets...

Ah well, of course there's the usual dread of not being able to give what I have.. not being creative enough, not becoming productive enough.... But even if I am more Dead than Alive by the end of the semester, at least I've sold my soul for the sake of my passion....

"....we need to re-discover the heroism in architecture...."
- DTS (Design, Technology and Sustainability) professor

No comments: